Monday 9 December 2013

Goodbye November

Somewhere between studying for my Dutch lesson and getting ready for my brother's visit from Greece, November has gone and Christmas mood has arrived in our house. :)


It was a great month and from the first week of December, I can tell it’s going to be a very special one too! The weather is getting colder and colder. It was also snowing a little bit on Friday, but Dutch don´t acknowledge this white fluffy things falling from the sky as real snow! So I guess I´ll wait a little while till I get to see the dutch snow in Utrecht.
The past week despite the really windy day, Sinterklaas passed by our house and left some pepernoten en chocoladeletters! For those not familiar with the three Dutch words in the last sentence, please check this post.

Among other interesting things, including baking a lot, celebrating our parish feast, getting to know new extraordinary people better, visiting new areas in the Netherlands and Belgium and meeting super cute babies, last month I had the joy of attending a Creative mornings talk in de Ruimte,Utrecht, where I met new interesting people while eating yummy breakfast together. 

 The speaker was Stephen Hay who enlightened us with a really nice talk about bravery and getting out of your comfort zone. Thank you Stephen!
Memorable quotes of the morning: 
"Pareto was right, 80% of your results come from 20% of your efforts. (referring to the 80/20 principle)
"Stop making excuses. Make art."
Creative Mornings Utrecht
"Have fun! Keep learning."

December's Creative Mornings theme is make, but unfortunately there will be no talk in Utrecht. 
Maybe I should apply and talk about our Double Crochets project.... just kidding.


Speaking of Double Crochets, my sister Marietta, who continues our blog and brand, back in Greece, had a very nice interview where she talks about her experiences, being part of Double Crochets and where does she gets inspiration for all her beautiful creations. (If you don’t read Greek, try using google translate.) When the question was why she is now alone, there came an answer which I love:

-You started out as 2 , but from what I understand , you are left alone. Was there redefining of objectives?

-Yes we started together, but I was not exactly left on my own! In fact from two we became four, as we both got married this past summer. 
My sister moved to the Netherlands and I moved to Halkida, which inevitably brought redefining in many things including objectives.
 The [.....] it was not easy and we really miss each other. Marietta, Double Crochets


Meanwhile we had a weekend visit to Gent where we celebrated Saint Andreas feast. A walk through this beautiful city led us in a pub eating Belgian broccoli soup with brown bread. 
I can't even start talking about the Belgian beers!  In one of the streets we stumbled upon a vintage toy shop (the collage in the beginning of the post), with so many special old toys. Unfortunately it was already closed when we found it, but next time, I'll know where it is.

Christmas gifts and crafting go hand in hand, I’m now preparing some sweet Christmas gifts, packages and cards for friends and family all around the world. :) Last week my mum pinned a cute crocheted star on pinterest which gave me the idea to create some mini crocheted gifts. 
The first one was already given as a gift along with a bottle of my new favourite Belgian beer.


There are more and different crocheted or not, gifts to come! 
Also it's been so long since I last crocheted!! I didn't realise how much I miss and love it!!
If you are also interested in making this cute crocheted star you can find the pattern here.


For some inspiration for Christmas gifts and ideas for crafts do come for a visit at my pinterest Christmas board.


And how about you, how are you getting ready for Christmas? 

1 comment: